Well, Levi had to go to his weekly doctor's appointment today. Ever since he left the hospital, we have been going to the doctor every week to check his hemeticrit (sp?) level, this tells us how anemic he is. All newborns are born slightly anemic because they have to break down the extra blood cells that they no longer need now that they are outside of the womb. Well, Levi had double the amount to break down because of the Rh incompadibility...he had to get rid of my antibodies that were breaking down his antibodies.
Why the title, "Poor Baby...Poor Mommy"? Well, today, Levi got stuck 4 times!!!! Usually, they just have to stick his heel to get the blood they need to test his hematicrit level. Today, the doctor wanted to do another test to see how quickly Levi was repairing the blood cells, so they needed more blood than what they could get from the heel.
First, the nurse tried on his left arm...no luck. Then, she called another nurse in to help her try on his right hand...no luck. Then, the doctor, who specializes in hematology, came in to try on his left hand...no luck! He is just too little; it's hard to get a vein. So, the doc said he could get a vein in his head, but since he has already been pricked 4 times, he would just skip this test for now. I sighed with relief!!!
So, the nurse comes back in to prick his heel to get blood for the hematicrit test. That makes prick number 4! Let's just say Levi was not happy and I was sad because I was holding him while they were pricking him, and I didn't want him to associate pain with me! I thought I hated giving blood, but it is so much worse watching your little one get stuck 4 times, and the nurses still not getting what they had hoped for.



5 comments:
Poor Levi & Poor Mommy is right! I'm glad there was a happy ending...lots of snuggling! Today was the perfect day for it, too. Levi is so handsome. Love the pic.
Poor little thing!! That should be illegal to prick a little baby so many times! I think another treat for him is to be loved on by Aunt Melissa. Hmmm....she might have to make a stop by to give him a kiss!
Yes, hold him while you can. You will blink your eyes and next thing you know you're trying to snuggle him he'll be pointing and saying, "down, down, down."
Ugh...what an experience. I hate when they had to get blood from Caroline's foot! With all the rain it truly was a perfect day to snuggle together. :)
Yikes! I cry when someone tries to poke me with a needle just once!
Post a Comment